Brain Boosting Foods
When it comes to brain health, we all want to be mentally sharp for as long as we can. Over the course of my practice, I have seen many people in their 50s and 60s start talking about memory decline, trouble finding words, brain fog, and forgetfulness. While we can play games and take on activities that keep us mentally sharp, there are also many foods that support brain health. Below is a list of brain boosting foods.
- Fatty fish – Fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, and sardines are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for brain function and may help improve memory and cognitive performance.
- Blueberries – Blueberries are high in antioxidants, which can protect the brain from oxidative stress and inflammation, and have been shown to improve memory and cognitive function.
- Leafy greens – Leafy greens like spinach, kale, and collard greens are rich in vitamins and minerals that are important for brain health, including vitamin K, folate, and lutein.
- Nuts and seeds – Nuts and seeds like almonds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds are rich in healthy fats, protein, and micronutrients like vitamin E, which may help protect the brain from age-related decline.
- Avocado – Avocado is rich in healthy fats, fiber, and potassium, and may help improve cognitive function and memory.
- Dark chocolate – Dark chocolate is high in flavonoids, which have been shown to improve brain function and may help protect the brain from oxidative stress and inflammation.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is a spice that contains the compound curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory properties and may help improve memory and cognitive function.
- Eggs – Eggs are a good source of choline, which is important for brain health and development, and may help improve cognitive function and memory.
- Fermented foods – Fermented foods like yogurt, kefir, and kimchi contain beneficial bacteria that can improve gut health and may help improve brain function and mood.
Brain Boosting Foods – Oils
The following are some of the best oils for brain health. It’s important to choose high-quality oils and avoid processed and hydrogenated oils, which can be detrimental to your health.
- Olive oil – Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids, which have been linked to improved cognitive function and a reduced risk of cognitive decline.
- Coconut oil – Coconut oil is high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which the body can use as a source of energy for the brain.
- Avocado oil – Avocado oil is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids, vitamin E, and antioxidants, all of which are important for brain health.
- Flaxseed oil – Flaxseed oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for brain function and may help reduce inflammation in the brain.
- Fish oil – Fish oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, particularly EPA and DHA, which have been shown to improve cognitive function and may help reduce the risk of cognitive decline.
By incorporating as many brain boosting foods and oils/fats into your diet as possible, you can help strengthen your brain game!