5 Health Benefits of Cleansing
If your health routine is in a rut and you feel sluggish, tired, overwhelmed, foggy headed, and backed up, then it just might be time for you to do a cleanse or detox and experience the benefits of cleansing.
A cleanse is when you change what you are eating to give your digestive system—from top to bottom—a break by eating lightly and/or healthier, unprocessed foods. A cleanse is often accompanied by nutritional supplements and pre-packaged shakes/powders made from whole foods by reputable supplement companies. A cleanse might also include a break from your daily routine of work (yes, cleanse while you are on vacation), vigorous exercise, TV, and negative sources of news and stress. All of this gives your body a chance to rest, detoxify, empty out (digestive-speaking), and rejuvenate.
What are 5 Health Benefits of Cleansing?
While there are numerous beneficial reasons to do a cleanse or detox, research has reported at least 5 health benefits of cleansing:
1. Reduce Inflammation – This is one of the main reasons Dr. Kalaba has her practice members do a cleanse, anywhere from 5 days to 28 days. When you eat whole, unprocessed foods, you increase your intake of antioxidants. Many studies have shown that increasing antioxidants reduces inflammation. (1,2)
Harvard Health also reports that fiber, omega-3, and plant compounds found in whole foods that are commonly used during a cleanse all have anti-inflammatory properties.(3)
See Dr. Kalaba’s results (so far) at the bottom of the post from the 28-day cleanse she is completing.
2. Improve Liver Functions – Your liver plays a significant role in removing toxins from your body. The detoxification pathways that run through the liver help turn toxic particles into harmless end substances that can then be excreted by the body. A study published in the peer-reviewed journal Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine reported a “…23% increase in liver detoxification capacity…” after a 7-day detox program.
3. Support Healthy Skin – Healthier skin often results from a cleanse. This is partly because you are decreasing the amount of toxins you consume while increasing your antioxidants. Both help in lowering inflammation and improving the condition of your skin. You also increase the intake of carotenoids, which “…have pronounced antioxidant properties in the neutralization of free radicals.”(5) Free radicals cause pre-mature aging of the skin. As such, the more you can neutralize them, the healthier the appearance of your skin.
4. Support Weight Loss – When you cleanse, you hit your metabolic reset button. By increasing your metabolism, you burn your energy resources more quickly. When you are cleansing, your main energy producer is the stored fat on your body. If you burn it more efficiently, you are likely to lose some weight. A published study documented the results of a 21-day cleanse and reported, “Weight loss ranged between 5.2 (2.4 kg) and 19.9 lb (9.0 kg) (average, 11.7 lb; 5.3 kg). Total cholesterol levels decreased with ranges between 11 and 77 mg/dL, and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels decreased in a range between 7 and 67 mg/dL.”(6).
5. Improved Energy Levels – Digestion is one of the most energy intensive processes in your body. While cleansing, you stop consuming heavy, highly processed foods, which lightens the load on your digestive process. Additionally, you are taking in many nutrients that can support other energy processes in the body. Many people report feeling lighter, more energetic, and less brain fog when they complete a cleanse.(7)
These are just 5 reported health benefits of cleansing.
Dr. Kalaba is in the middle of her own 28-day detox using Standard Process Detox Balance kit. This program includes 1-3 nutrition shakes per day with whole foods and no sugar or processed foods. Here are the informal results she is experiencing:
- Dropped 5lbs so far
- Clearer skin
- Less postnasal drip and mucous production
- Less to no muscle soreness after running
- More frequent urination and bowel movements
- Less joint pain, especially in the knees
- Less shoulder discomfort, which has been a chronic issue for Dr. Kalaba
- Less muscle tightness while stretching
- Better, deeper sleep
- Better hydration as evidenced by less dryness on the back of the hands
- Lowered appetite, simply did not feel the need to eat more
- Improved energy
Curious about how you might feel after a cleanse? Want to know more? Ask me at your next visit. I would love to guide you through this short, effective, and very reasonable process.